Strawberry Heaven

Barcelona,
August 7th, 2013

This is one of my favorite recipes because it requests very little time from me, yet wows my guests ;). A very simple summer recipe – but be sure to make one or two extra servings because there is always someone who will ask for more!

photo

Ingredients for 6 servings

Fresh Strawberries from the market – 1 kg
Sugar – 2-3 tablespoons
Chantilly (either homemade if you have the tools, or readymade)
Your favorite kind of biscuit (speculos, galettes bretonnes, sugar cookie, or chocolate based cookies) – 1 or 2 per person
For the topping: almonds / grated dark chocolate / mint

First start by cutting the strawberries into little cubes.
Put them in a bowl and add 2 or 3 tablespoons of sugar (depending on the variety of strawberries and their taste).
Leave the strawberries in the fridge for at least 4 hours. The hard work is done!
The rest of the recipe is done on the spot.

Once it is time for dessert, bring out your most beautiful glasses (cocktail glasses or water glasses). The glasses have to be transparent so that your guests are wowed by the layers and the colors.

Put a long spoon in each glass.
Start by crushing the biscuits and fill the bottom of the glass with the crumbles.
Then add one layer of strawberries, one layer of Chantilly, and repeat until the glass is full.

On top, you can add some almonds and a little mint for decoration, or grate some chocolate.
Yummy!It is now time to enjoy it with your guests.Note:
This recipe can also be made with mascarpone or fromage blanc, with other fruits depending on the season – the variations are endless, so have fun!

Hanin

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

8 thoughts on “Strawberry Heaven

1. bakewithmeblog August 7, 2013 at 9:02 am Reply

Wow! This looks yummy! I love that a simple recipe can look so pretty and really fancy!

2. enlwilliams August 9, 2013 at 6:56 pm Reply

Hey Hanin,
    There are strawberries everywhere here and I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy some 😉 I’m thinking of maybe adding a layer of blueberries and/or blackberries (also plentiful in California at the moment). What do you think?

3. Hanin August 14, 2013 at 5:22 pm Reply

Hey Beth
    I think it will add a great twist to the recipe! Have you tried it yet?
    Yum!!

• enlwilliams August 15, 2013 at 7:22 pm Reply

Hey Hanin,

No, I haven’t tried it yet. To be completely honest, we bought a waffle iron last week and I’m obsessed with it. All my berries have been going on top of my waffles!! I’m going to experiment and hopefully some new waffle recipe will make its way onto the blog 🙂

xo
      Beth

4. momwilliams August 14, 2013 at 6:07 pm Reply

Now I know what to do with all those extra champagne flutes! I think I’m going to try a peach version. MIL

5. Hanin August 20, 2013 at 4:39 pm Reply

Sounds lovely!
    Wait till we come? 🙂
    Kisses

6. momwilliams September 5, 2013 at 10:57 am Reply

The peaches worked a treat! Actually I used a combination of white peaches and yellow nectarines. I gave them a couple of squirts of lemon to preserve the color and add to the flavour. I also used speculoos biscuits for the base. Since I had cream and biscuits left, the next night I repeated with raspberries and blueberries. WOW!
    Then when Hanin was here we got creative with crumble.
    We cut up five good sized apples, and two nectarines, a quarter cup of sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon. For the crumble we combined butter, flour and crushed speculoos. We didn’t have exact amounts but it made a grainy mixture. You don’t need to add sugar-the biscuits make it sweet enough.
    Bake in a 180 degree centigrade oven for about forty minutes or until fruit is well cooked. The smell is going to drive everybody crazy-it’s that good! Serve with vanilla ice cream or whatever you like. It was delish and a great way to use up bits of fruit and left over biscuits. It wasn’t the most gorgeous of desserts to look at so no photo. Oh well, maybe next time.

• enlwilliams September 10, 2013 at 11:59 pm Reply

Wow that sounds decadent!