French toast topped with apple and salted caramel

Belle-Ile-en-Mer, France

French toast with apple & salted butter caramel topping

It’s good to back in France after a gorgeous summer in Southern California. The man and I have been visiting friends on the lovely island of Belle-Ile-en-Mer in Brittany. As I’m sure you know, Brittany is a wild place with a windswept coast and salty air. Historically, the livelihood of Bretons was intricately linked with the sea (actually, it still is) and this is reflected in their local gastronomy .

Seafood is plentiful here and I’ve been seeing people digging for palourdes (a type of clam) in the port of Sauzon during low tide. I’m dying to join them but, since I do not have the requisite rubber boots, I’ve been told this would be a terrible idea. No fun! Instead I’ve been enjoying buckwheat galettes with camembert, salted butter caramel crêpes and washing it down with Breton cider at the local crêperie Les Embruns. Not too shabby.

I needed an excuse to buy a pot of gooey and marvellous caramel beurre salé (salted butter caramel) so I put together a recipe for French toast topped with diced apples cooked in the aforementioned caramel.

To keep things simple I suggest you use your favorite French toast recipe. My go to recipe is Martha Stewart’s Perfect French Toast although I use day-old baguette instead of brioche.

Here’s the recipe for the apple topping:

Ingredients

– 2 apples

– 1-2 tsp salted butter

– 1 1/2 tbsp salted butter caramel (dulce de leche also works)

– A few pinches of cinnamon

Instructions:

Start by peeling and coring the apples, then dice them (not too small).

Apples

Warm a pan on low-medium heat and add the salted butter. Toss in the diced apples and the salted butter caramel. Lick the spoon used to scoop the caramel.

Salted butter caramel

Cover and let cook for about 30 min. Make sure that you stir every once in a while and taste. The apples are done when they are cooked through but not mushy.

While you’re waiting for the apples to drown in their salty sea of caramel, prepare the French toast according to the recipe you’re using. Think about your timing before you start cooking the toast.

As soon as you take the French toast off the pan, top each piece with some of the warm apple mixture. Serve with a generous dollop of caramel and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Eat immediately.

I’m not going to lie, the best bit about this recipe is the apple and caramel. I would eat it on its own without the toast or serve it for dessert with some good vanilla ice cream. Any other suggestions?

Bon appétit!

Tagged: , , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “French toast topped with apple and salted caramel

1. Hanin September 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm Reply

This looks amazing Beth! And thank you for the recipe of Pain perdu too 🙂
    I was just telling Thomas that I was craving it but had no good recipe… 2 birds with one stone.
    Will try it this week end 🙂

• enlwilliams September 17, 2013 at 10:34 pm Reply

Don’t hesitate if you need any ideas! Xoxo

2. MariannaF September 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm Reply

this is the cutest blog between the 3 of you!!!

• enlwilliams September 18, 2013 at 2:20 pm Reply

I’m glad you like it 🙂

3. […] French toast topped with apple and salted caramel. […]

4. momwilliams September 22, 2013 at 9:35 pm Reply

Hey Beth, you know how much I LOVE caramel. This looks stupendous but you also know I’m on a mega diet. Bad girl! Now I need to rustle up even more will power.

• enlwilliams September 24, 2013 at 3:47 pm Reply

Apples are healthy… No? 😉

5. ellenfetu September 25, 2013 at 3:01 pm Reply

I am going to try again to post a comment! I love this blog! This is a wonderful idea, you four!! Typical Williams creativity, humour, love and calories!! May I share this with my daughters? They will love especially the gluten-free ideas as well as ethnic (read: more interesting and appealing than US) foods. Even better perhaps, on Facebook? And Beth: next time you are in Brittany, you better be looking us up! and not out there buying up all the caramel beurre salée !! Ellen

• enlwilliams September 25, 2013 at 3:12 pm Reply

Thanks for the support Ellen, I’m glad you like the blog! Please feel free to share it on Facebook and with anyone you think will enjoy it 🙂

I had somehow missed the fact that you were living in Brittany… when did this happen?? Whereabouts are you living? I’m a big fan of Brittany so it won’t be hard to convince me to go back! Promise to get in touch the next time we head your way.

x
      Beth

• momwilliams September 26, 2013 at 11:02 am Reply

So good to hear from you Ellen! Please feel free to share us. You are such an amazing baker, I’m hoping you’ll share some tips with us, including gluten free ideas. I know you have experience with that. Keep smiling and enjoying your beautiful new home. Cheers, Jan

6. Peggy September 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm Reply

This is a fabulous blog! Will always remember, Jan, how you could whip up a great meal out of whatever happened to be in the kitchen. Seems you passed this trait on. I have only fairly recently begun to be more creative with my own cooking so will read the blog with interest. Peggy

• enlwilliams September 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm Reply

I’m glad that you like the blog Peggy – we’re certainly having fun writing it 🙂
      x
      Beth

• momwilliams September 26, 2013 at 4:20 pm Reply

Hi Peggy, so good to hear from you. The making something from nothing is often due to my lack of motivation to shop on rainy days!

7. Emily October 15, 2013 at 6:25 pm Reply

Mmmm- I have to find a gluten free friendly way of making this- I will have a think about it. I am going to try and make my own bread- so maybe then I will try this.

• Beth October 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm Reply

I was thinking you could try it as a topping on a buckwheat pancake or something similar. That wouldn’t have gluten in it, right? In anycase the apple/caramel mix is by far the best bit… you could have it on its own, on ice cream, with meringue… ooooh, yes… make it with meringue!!

8. Jan October 17, 2013 at 1:47 pm Reply

Oh Beth, you and your meringues! That’s probably your tip for serving sardines too! Only kidding.

• Beth October 17, 2013 at 1:59 pm Reply

You laugh but that might be the secret mix Hanin has been craving!