Yogurt Pasta – A week with Amani

Barcelona, Spain

I hope you are all doing well!
As you know Thomas and I had the pleasure to enjoy the company of my parents last week, which also means great food cooked by my mom!
I just love to taste her cuisine as it reminds me of so many good childhood memories when she used to cook for me and my brothers πŸ™‚ Guilty pleasure I have to say!
For Thomas, it is quite the same since he got used to my mom’s cooking when we were living in Amman. He even claims it is one of the only things he misses!

Today, I would like to kick start the “week with Amani” recipes, with a simple but delicious first recipe, that has always been a huge success whenever I cooked it for my friends.
I have to admit it is one of the only recipes I knew how to cook before this week.

2013-10-12 20.17.52

So here goes:

Ingredients for 4 (hungry) people

500 gr Spaghetti (or their gluten free equivalent)
400 gr minced meat (I guess you can switch it to minced turkey – I have never tried it though :)) Jordanian meat spices (you might get some of that in your stockings this year)
1 big onion
3 garlic cloves
6 plain yogurts (preferably Greek or goat cheese yogurt)
2 tbs olive oil
Salt, pepper
Fresh parsley
Pine kernels (optional)

Dice the onion and cook it with the meat + spices in the olive oil, until well cooked. Leave it on the side for later.

Cut the garlic cloves into small pieces. Put them in a small bowl, add a teaspoon of salt and crush it until it becomes a puree.
In a bigger recipient, mix the crushed garlic, the yogurt and salt to your liking. Leave it on the side for later.
Cook the pasta.
Roast the kernels in a pan until golden. You can add olive oil (Arabs do, I don’t for health purposes ;))
You’re almost done!

In a serving dish,
put the cooked pasta first, then add the yogurt, then the meat on top, then the cut parsley, then the kernels and voila! You can enjoy one of my favorite pasta recipes!

2013-10-12 20.23.31

I hope you enjoy this dish. What is nice about it is that it gives you a great taste of Lebanese food but it is not too complicated nor takes plenty of time.
If you try it, please let me know how it comes out with turkey instead of beef (Jan), with gluten free pasta (Emi) or without any meat (Beth).

Keep me posted!

Talk soon

Han & Amani

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

11 thoughts on “Yogurt Pasta – A week with Amani

1. Emily October 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm Reply

YUMMY! Can I get zaatar in my stocking too?!!!!! I’ve run out- and as you can imagine I am quite upset.
    Back to your recipe- this looks and sounds delicious. I’ve been wanting creamy pasta (Dad’s carbonnara anyone?) but without the gazillion calories. Though not a carbonnara- this looks exactly like what I want to eat. Also- I am going to try it probably with mince pork or a mix of pork and beef. Thank you for this- it’s Monday morning at the office and I am starving alrady.

2. Hanin October 28, 2013 at 4:34 pm Reply

Hehe I will ask Santa to pass by Jordan and bring you some zaatar this Christmas!!
    I think it will happen πŸ™‚
    Yes this is definitely less calories than carbonara, however, I advise you still use Greek or goat yogurt that is not 0% so to keep the thickness of the sauce. If you don’t it will be a bit too liquid and less tasteful. Just an advice! πŸ™‚
    I am starving 100% of the time but the midwife asked me to watch my weight this morning. I am aldready +8kg … 😦
    Therefore I am in need of delicious but low calories recipes if you have any!
    Big kisses from Barcelona
    Han and N

3. Beth October 28, 2013 at 5:59 pm Reply

Wow this looks creamy and delicious! I don’t eat meat anymore but I do make the odd exception (gourmet burger, moussaka on Milos…) so I may need to make one to try this!! My Man would be very pleased – he is a carnivore. Quick question, what are Jordanian spices? What could someone substitute for it?

Speaking of spices, if santa wanted to pick up some zaatar for my stocking too I would be a very happy girl… πŸ˜‰

4. Hanin October 28, 2013 at 6:03 pm Reply

It’s going to be a Spicy Xmas this year πŸ˜‰

5. Emily October 28, 2013 at 6:36 pm Reply

Hanin- not sure how warm it is in Barcelona at the moment. It’s beautiful but chilly here- perfect soup weather. I just made a carrot/ginger/coriander soup- it’s super low cal, but VERY healthy and super delicious. I’ll write it up. I am also going to be experimenting with zucchini bruschetta this week…. All of these are healthy foods (which funnily enough also happen to be gluten-free, vegetarian and lactose free.)

6. MariannaF October 28, 2013 at 11:30 pm Reply

This looks wonderful!! wanted to comment on this earlier but got caught up with other things!! When I was a kid, I used to “snack” on cold boiled noodles mixed with yoghurt & a pinch of salt!!! I know it sounds strange, but its actually really good lol πŸ™‚ Also chickpeas work (instead of yoghurt).
    I’d love to know what Jordanian spices are made of? πŸ™‚ And are pine kernels = pine nuts?

7. Jan October 31, 2013 at 4:36 pm Reply

Hi Hanin,
    I am really looking forward to trying this. I know Thomas is a huge fan! As you suggested, I will grind up some turkey. Just out of curiosity, what meat do you use: beef, lamb? A combination?
    I’ll be thinking of some recipes for you , any cravings?
    Tonight we are finishing up packing etc. It’s our last night in Milos plus it’s our annivesary, ah yes a Hallowe’en bride, that was me.
    Emi’s soup sounded great. Hoping to see that posted soon.
    Gotta run! Mil

8. Hanin October 31, 2013 at 5:22 pm Reply

Hello Ladies and thank you for all your comments!

@Marianna Pine Kernels = Pine nuts πŸ™‚
    And also, I will have to investigate what is in the Jordanian Spices… Luckily, I will be in Jordan in a few days so I will ask while there!

@MIL:
    Happy Anniversary!! – I was actually going to wait until tomorrow to wish you and FIL a Happy Anniversary – easy to remember indeed hehe
    I am sorry to hear you are leaving Milos, it is so beautiful (the picture you sent is simply amazing!)

About the recipes: Emi’s soup does sound great! However it is still around 20-25 degrees here in BCN. But I would love to have the recipe!
    I agree, Emi, could you please post the recipe of your delicious soup?

Finally, since the beginning of my pregnancy I have been craving everything with a sour taste (vinegar, pickles, mustard, lemon, you name it!) If that gives you any idea? πŸ™‚

9. Jan November 6, 2013 at 6:33 pm Reply

I made it! It was delicious with the turkey. I used ‘chicken spices’ from Jordan. I don’t know exactly what the combination is but I tasted clove and cinnamon for sure. When Emi is home I’ll try it with rice. What do you think???? Mil
    ps. excited about our upcoming trip to Barcelona! Have a great time in Jordan-hugs to all the family.

10. Hanin November 7, 2013 at 6:13 pm Reply

Amazing!
    By the way we have a similar recipe with rice: it has fried arabic pita bread, rice, garlic yogurt and chicken. EXCELLENT too if you ask me, and definitely can be tried for Xmas.
    I am glad you enjoyed it!
    Looking forward to seeing you too πŸ™‚
    And ladies: now is the time to ask for Jordanian stocking presents!
    Kisses to all

11. Emily January 23, 2014 at 5:05 pm Reply

I made this instead of the Kafta as I had run out of tahini. It’s delicious! I would say the recipe makes enough for 6 people and it’s still decent sizes. I used very tart goat yogurt. Delicious! Garlic heaven πŸ™‚ Thanks Hanin! Oh- I used beef. Something I might try here is to use bison- it’s leaner than beef. Quite nice πŸ™‚