Palak Paneer (my way- or rather our local Indian restaurant way)

Vancouver, Canada

I really fancied some palak paneer (spinach and paneer curry also known as saag paneer). But not the traditional kind- I wanted the kind made by our Indian restaurant back in France which uses Laughing Cow cheese instead of paneer.

Palak Paneer 2

I researched how the traditional palak paneer is made, noted what the spices and methodology were and just went for it. And did this hit the spot?! YOU BET IT DID!

Serves 4:
675 grams spinach (fresh or frozen)
8 Laughing Cow cheese triangles (or equivalent)
2.5 inch (about 6.5 cm) piece of ginger chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1 red or green chili
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp creme fraiche (optional)

I used frozen spinach and followed the cooking instructions on the pack. If using fresh, wash and place in a pan and cover until wilted. Move to the side.

Place the ginger, the garlic and the chili in a small blender. Add about 2 tbsp of water to blend into a paste.

Heat the oil in a pan which you can cover later. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sautee for 30 seconds. Add the spinach and the salt. Keep on medium high heat- cover and let this cook for 15 mins.

During that time put the Laughing Cow cheese into a bowl and add the garam masala and cayenne pepper. Mash up with a fork.

After spinach is ready, add the cheese and the creme fraiche. You do not need to add the creme fraiche- the curry holds its own without it. I’ve added it to give it the creamy texture like the restaurant in my hometown. Stir and cover. Lower the heat and let cook for another 10 mins stirring once or twice.

Palak Paneer recipe

Serve with basmati rice with cumin seeds. Yum!!! Beth, Mom and Hanin- I think I succeeded in replicating the Punjab’s palak paneer!

Tagged: , , , , ,

6 thoughts on “Palak Paneer (my way- or rather our local Indian restaurant way)

1. Jan November 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm Reply

Excellent! Next challenge: the achari chicken that we used to get in Leeds.

2. Beth November 13, 2013 at 8:15 am Reply

It looks EXACTLY the same as the Punjab’s!! I’m going to try this very very soon. Do you think I’ll be able to buy the spices in Monoprix? Have you taken a stab at making the eggplant curry?

3. MariannaF November 13, 2013 at 1:54 pm Reply

Indian food is among my FAVOURITE in the whole wide WORLD yum!! and I appreciated reading the detail about the Laughing Cow vs Paneer 🙂

4. Emily November 22, 2013 at 5:44 pm Reply

Hey Beth- I haven’t been to Monoprix in nearly a year so I can’t remember. But it shouldn’t be a big deal to find these spices- they are common to Indian cooking- so if all else fails, I’m sure some of the bigger shops would have the spices. If all else fails, I know you can make your own garam masala- I’d have to check.

• Beth November 25, 2013 at 12:17 pm Reply

Make my own?? That sounds dangerous 😉

5. My Special Spinach Paneer | VegeThoughts December 1, 2013 at 10:19 pm Reply

[…] Palak Paneer (my way- or rather our local Indian restaurant way) (culinarycorrespondence.com) […]