Kafta with Sesame Sauce – A week with Amani

We have been back for only a week and Christmas seems so long ago… It was great spending time with all of you and I hope 2014 will bring us all geographically closer, so we can see each other more often!

“Waaaiiiitttt!” 😉

So let’s start 2014 with another recipe from my mom.

The base is ground beef. But again, you can use turkey meat or even chicken and add some meat spices that I believe Santa brought you @ Xmas. 🙂

Santa’s nice like that!

2013-11-29 20.52.20

Ingredients:

600 gr ground beef

1 bunch parsley, finely chopped

1 teaspoon Jordanian meat spices

1 big onion

1 lemon

2 yogurts (Greek or goat)

1 cup cold water

6 tablespoons Sesame Cream (Tahineh) – you should be able to find some at Lebanese grocery stores in Paris or Vancouver. If you want some let me know – very easy  to find here in Barcelona !

First, you have to prepare the meat:

Chop the onion, and the parsley and mix it with the raw grounded meat.

Add the Jordanian spices and salt to your liking.

Spread the mix in a pan and cook it  on a low heat. Cover it with  a lid, we don’t want the meat to go dry.

2013-11-30 13.29.37

In parallel, mix the tahineh, the yogurt, the lemon juice and the water in a bowl.

Beat them well until you get a homogeneous creamy sauce.

Add the sauce on top of the cooking meat (by then, the meat has to look almost done). Let the sauce boil with the meat, keeping it at low heat.

Et voila! you are done.

This dish is served with white rice (basmati).

I hope you enjoy it!

We surely  did 🙂

Hope to see  you all really soon!

Hanin

Tagged: , , , , , ,

9 thoughts on “Kafta with Sesame Sauce – A week with Amani

1. Beth January 5, 2014 at 8:36 am Reply

Christmas was awesome – missing everyone already! Thanks for the recipe Hanin, it looks insanely good!! No need to flip the meat during cooking?

2. Jan January 8, 2014 at 10:32 am Reply

Hi Hanin,
    Looking forward to trying this with turkey and the chicken spices from my stocking.
    Did I tell you that the big Xmas tree in the living room fell down? A lot of breakage including the glass bells and the Murano ball, plus (sniff), the big tomato. A lot of amazing saves too though.We think that Lucy aka the best cat in the world may have had something to do with it.
    Emi is planning a big French dinner party for friends in Vancouver.Let’s hope she will take lots of pics and post about it.
    Take care. MIL

• Beth January 8, 2014 at 4:59 pm Reply

Oh no! I didn’t know the tree had fallen – boo.

3. Emily January 13, 2014 at 7:03 pm Reply

OK- Hanin, that looks incredible- I’ll try and cook that this weekend. Santa was very generous with the Middle Eastern spices this year I have to say….Zaatar!!!!!! I did have a dinner party on Saturday- I’ll do a post for the starter which was Frisee aux lardons later on. Maybe my apple crumble with caramalized pecans too…. But patience!

4. Emily January 15, 2014 at 7:42 pm Reply

I found tahini here very easily- they even had an organic version which I bought. I’m not a huge fan of rice- so will probably eat the kafta with some roasted red cabbage and a few boiled baby potatoes. I can’t wait!

5. Hanin January 17, 2014 at 3:11 pm Reply

Hello Ladies!
    Sorry it took me a long time to answer your comments.
    As you might know, I stopped working this week as I am officially too big now to keep on doing daily tasks without getting super exhausted… Not to mention of course all the other nice surprises that come with the last weeks of pregnancy: Acid reflux, backache… So I have been focusing on relaxing, far away from my laptop!
    No matter the discomfort, I know I am going to miss being pregnant the minute Norah arrives! haha, I am weird like that…

Anyway, thank you all for your comments on this post!
    @Jan: I am sorry to hear the tree fell down… Again?! At least you were not under the tree like last time. I am glad to know you are ok. And even though some ornaments did not survive, it gives us an occasion to get you more ornaments in the years to come. 🙂
    Looking forward to having you in Barcelona!
    Maybe we can have your excellent Greek shrimp recipe? Miam!

@Emi: Its great you were able to find Tahineh so easily. You know you can also use it to make some Hommous, all you need is chickpeas (are you allowed?), Yogurt (goat) and lemon!
    I hope you will like the kafta. It just reminds me of my childhood…:) I really like this recipe.

@All:
    I have one or two last Lebanese recipes I would like to share with you guys and then I have been baking quite a lot… So probably one or two cake recipes coming!

Hope to talk soon
    Love you all!

6. Hanin January 17, 2014 at 3:14 pm Reply

Oups! Forgot to answer your question Beth:
    no need to turn the meat, the top will cook when you cover it:)

7. Emily January 20, 2014 at 7:41 pm Reply

Making this tomorrow as I just got my groceries delivery and I need to unfreeze the meat. I’m super excited.

8. Emily January 22, 2014 at 7:48 pm Reply

Do you know what the breakdown of the spices is for the Jordanian spice? Santa was nice to us- but he may not have delivered to everyone 🙂