Light summer apricot tartlets – under 200 calories!

Herblay, France

Hello my dear Ladies,

Since I got back from Greece I’ve been trying to watch my calorie intake and to get back on the wagon by eating healthy foods. I’ve been loading up on the colorful and varied fruits that have taken over the Herblay market. In summertime I give strawberries, cherries, peaches, nectarines and apricots a lot of play because they are just SO delicious!

Culinary Correspondence - Apricot tartlets recipe

As much as I’ve been enjoying fruit salad for dessert, I’ve been craving something a little more decadent. The local boulangerie is an evil temptress… every time I walk by the sweet smell of bread and viennoiseries – well, let’s face it, butter – weakens my resolve to eat light. I devised this tartlet recipe to feed the sugar demons inside while staying relatively low cal. Each tartlet came out to 185 cal, but your results may vary depending on the ingredients you buy (particularly the pastry).

Using store-bought pastry makes this recipe super simple to throw together!

I’m happy to share these tasty little treats at the Novice Gardener‘s Fiesta Friday #26 🙂

The recipe makes 6 tartlets.

Ingredients
  • 1 sheet store-bought pâte feuilletée / puff pastry
  • Butter (for greasing tartlet tins)
  • 3-4 apricots (mine were big so I only used 3)
  • 100gr  / 3.5 oz no-sugar-added apple-rhubarb sauce (plain apple also works fine)
  • Handful of unsalted pistachios
  • 2 tbsp apricot jam (I used light jam)
  • 1 tbsp water
Instructions

Preheat your oven to 200°C / 390°F. Grease 6 tartlet tins with butter.

Culinary Correspondence - Apricot tartlet - Buttering tins

Roll out the puff pastry. Lay the pastry over each tartlet tin, let the pastry drop to the bottom of the tin and use your fingers or a rolling pin to cut the the excess pastry off. That’s a terrible description – the photo below will be more useful!

Culinary Correspondence - Apricot tart - Cutting the dough to size

Using a fork, make little holes in the bottom of the pastry.

Next, you’re going to blind-bake the pastry (ie. with no filling in it). Line each tin with a bit parchment paper and fill with pie weight or dried beans. Put tart crusts in the oven for about 10 minutes. (Note: double check the cooking instructions on your package of puff pastry. If different from above, follow the instructions on packaging.)

Culinary Correspondence - Apricot tartlets - preparing for blind-baking

While crusts are baking, slice apricots into thin wedges. Start by slicing the fruit in two, remove the stone and then cut each side into about four or five pieces.

Culinary Correspondence - Apricot tartlets -Slicing apricots

When the crusts are baked, take them out of the oven and place on a cooling rack. Let them cool a bit then spoon apple-rhubarb or apple evenly into the 6 crusts. Place slices of apricot into each tart crust to completely cover the apple-rhubarb sauce.

Culinary Correspondence - Apricot tartlets - ready to bake

Put tartlets in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.

While they’re baking, chop up the pistachios and toast them in a pan over medium-high heat. Set aside. Mix apricot jam with water then pass the mixture through a sifter. You should end up with a smooth liquid jam.

When the 15 minutes are up, take the tartlets out of the oven. Immediately glaze them with the sieved apricot jam. Tip: when you brush the jam on, be gentle and try not to disturb the apple sauce. The glaze make the tartlets look YUM and will add an extra touch of sweetness.

Culinary Correspondence - Apricot Tartlets - Before glaze Culinary Correspondence - Apricot Tartlets - After glaze

Sprinkle toasted pistachios on top and let the tarts cool completely.

Culinary Correspondence - light apricot tartlets

Culinary Correspondence blog - Apricot tartlets recipes

Enjoy without a hint of guilt!

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

54 thoughts on “Light summer apricot tartlets – under 200 calories!

1. Ahila July 25, 2014 at 12:43 pm Reply

I have always had a soft spot for fruit tartlets and your apricot ones look wonderful! Thanks for sharing it at the fiesta!

2. Martina July 25, 2014 at 1:55 pm Reply

They are to die for! Wonderful, thanks for sharing!

3. The Novice Gardener July 25, 2014 at 2:55 pm Reply

YUM! I love fruit tarts, or anything with fruits, or any tart. What I’m trying to say is, I love anything sweet, or anything with puff pastry. Okay, I just love food, period! 🙂

4. Jan July 25, 2014 at 3:23 pm Reply

I was the very lucky recipient of one of these tarts and it was way too good to have so few calories. Absolutely delicious!
    Beth these photos are the best yet!!!!

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence July 25, 2014 at 3:52 pm Reply

I’m happy you like the pictures – getting the lighting right was quite tricky! I can’t believe I managed to save tartlets for you and dad… although I did eat 4 out of 6!!!

5. Butter, Basil and Breadcrumbs July 25, 2014 at 5:38 pm Reply

Happy Happy Fiesta Friday Beth! First, let me say that I’m so happy to meet you and your culinary correspondence gang! I love this blog!
    The tart… so simple…yet so perfectly lovely. I adore apricots…and I adore tarts. I can promise you that this will be one that I try very soon…and have a very strong feeling that it will become an immediate favorite! Awesome post. Awesome blog. Thank you so much for bringing this lovely tart to our FF table!!

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence July 26, 2014 at 8:57 am Reply

Lovely to meet you too! Thanks so much for your lovely comment – the girls and I are thrilled that you like the blog! I hope you’ll give these tarts a whirl, they are really yum!

6. milkandbun July 25, 2014 at 6:01 pm Reply

Hi there! Happy to meet you (thru FF)! I love what I see- both pictures and of course tarts! Yummy!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Mila

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence July 26, 2014 at 8:58 am Reply

Thanks for coming by and saying hi! FF is so much fun 🙂 Have a lovely weekend and hope to see you again soon!

7. thebrookcook July 25, 2014 at 6:12 pm Reply

I love any tart (always such a beautiful presentation!) but tartlets are even more fabulous! 🙂 Nice!

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence July 26, 2014 at 8:59 am Reply

Confession: I made tartlets instead of a tart because I bought these little tins ages ago and had never used them. I won’t making that mistake again, tartlets are the best!

8. flavourphotos July 25, 2014 at 7:05 pm Reply

I’m so with you – apricots, peaches, nectarines… they are just wonderful when they’re ripening and filling the kitchen with their aroma.
    The pistachios really makes these tarts, they look fab! Happy FF and have a great weekend.

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence July 26, 2014 at 9:00 am Reply

Thanks for the lovely comment 🙂 I’m a sucker for pistachios and I like how they add a little contrasting color – I’m glad you do too. Have a fab weekend!

9. Lisa July 25, 2014 at 7:15 pm Reply

These look amazing and healthy!! I just picked up some apricots at the store but didn’t know what to do with them.. now I do, thanks to you. By the way, I love the idea of your blog… with all the family contributing ..brilliant! Cheers!

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence July 26, 2014 at 9:01 am Reply

Hi Lisa! The four of us really enjoy sharing recipes this way – it’s great to hear that you like the blog too! Let me know how the tartlets turn out 🙂

10. chefjulianna July 25, 2014 at 8:19 pm Reply

Wow, how can these be so beautiful and low-cal? What a wonderful post! Great pics too! 😀

11. illcookyouwash July 25, 2014 at 8:58 pm Reply

Looks gorgeous!

12. Sue July 25, 2014 at 10:02 pm Reply

Lovely pictures and the little tarts are not only chic and neat looking but also delicious looking. I would like to order 2? Thank you!

13. Chitra Jagadish July 25, 2014 at 10:29 pm Reply

They look great and cute ….

14. A Home Cook July 25, 2014 at 11:26 pm Reply

How beautifully simple and creative. Happy Fiesta Friday.

15. saucygander July 26, 2014 at 12:41 am Reply

Guilt free apricot tartlets, these sound wonderful. Love the use of pistachios too! Great FF dessert!

16. Lori July 26, 2014 at 3:36 am Reply

These look gorgeous and oh so yummy!!

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence July 26, 2014 at 9:06 am Reply

I confirm that they are indeed yummy! I ate 4 just to make sure 🙂 Thanks for stopping by Lori and have a lovely weekend!

17. Hanin July 26, 2014 at 12:44 pm Reply

Beth, Those look absolutely delicious!!
    I also love the fact that you describe each step with a beautiful picture. This recipe looks amazing 😉
    I know which bakery you are talking about! haha
    A great change from plain fruits for dessert. Me gusta!

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence July 27, 2014 at 9:30 am Reply

Let me know if you try them! I’m glad you like the pics, I’ve been trying to improve since we started the blog. Baby steps – but I think I’m slowly starting to get a bit better. I caved and went to the bakery yesterday and had a pain aux raisins – divine. I did quite a bit of walking to come in under my daily calorie count! Totally worth it!!

18. Loretta July 26, 2014 at 4:43 pm Reply

oooo, just love those mini tartlets, what could be better than puff pastry, some fruit and jam? I’ll have to invest in some of those mini tart pans, I love the idea of individual ones anyway, that way you don’t feel quite so tempted to finish the tart all in one go 🙂 Lovely!

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence July 27, 2014 at 9:33 am Reply

Thanks Loretta! Be warned, I’m a sucker for bakeware but I totally recommend the little tartlet tins. The individual tarts just look so pretty and would be perfect for entertaining. I hope you get a chance to make these!

19. spiceinthecity July 26, 2014 at 5:11 pm Reply

Hello, happy to meet you at FF Beth! The tartlets look delicious & love that they are a healthy option 🙂

20. nimmiafzal July 26, 2014 at 5:26 pm Reply

Wowww!!the Apricot Tartlets looks super yummm😊!!
    Thanks for bringing it to the party..
    Happy FF & glad to meet you at the party😊..
    Your blog is so yummmm😊

21. fretwellcrump July 26, 2014 at 10:22 pm Reply

Now I really want to make tarts! Yum!

22. Fae's Twist & Tango July 27, 2014 at 6:05 pm Reply

Very pretty… low calorie… pass 3 of them please. 😛

23. Michelle July 27, 2014 at 6:49 pm Reply

Aww they’re so cute! And low calorie? That means I can eat a bunch, right?

24. MB @ Bourbon and Brown Sugar July 28, 2014 at 5:50 pm Reply

I just discovered your blog… love the tartlet recipe, and am looking forward to following your culinary adventures!

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence July 28, 2014 at 9:09 pm Reply

Thanks so much! We’ve been blogging for just over a year now and loving it 🙂 Will definitely check out your blog – Bourbon and Brown Sugar, great name!

25. sarahgiebens July 29, 2014 at 4:20 pm Reply

I love them! I’m so happy to have found your blog through Fiesta Friday 😀
    The photographs look so good!

26. Emily @ culinarycorrespondence.com July 30, 2014 at 5:07 pm Reply

Delicious!!!! If you’re up for a bit of a decadent touch (this will add more calories…of course)- after buttering the tart tins, sprinkle a bit of sugar on the bottom and shake so there’s a thin sugar layer. It will caramelize the bottom of the pastry…..YUM! Also, I did a big tart (I didn’t have small tart tins- but I have a big one 🙂 ) and put two tablespoons of ground almonds on the bottom before putting the apple sauce. And then I added another tablespoon over the entire tart before putting it in the oven. Ya…. it’s awesome (I’ve currently only eaten half of it- LOVE it!) Beth- you think this recipe would work with apples and/or pears?