Vancouver, July 2014
Work has been keeping me busy ladies! And I’m getting home tired, hungry and totally not in the mood for cooking. So this weekend I searched through all my cookbooks and online for fast recipes I can either prepare ahead of time and/or cook in under 45 mins (and not just omelets!). I adapted this recipe from Donna Hay’s recipe “Cheats Chorizo Paella“. This is super tasty, easy and fast.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 4 chorizo sausages sliced (I only used two as I was keeping the calories down)
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced
- 1 tsp of chili flakes (I put in 1 tbsp because I like it HOT HOT HOT!)
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup of medium grain rice
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 400g of either tomato passata or crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Fresh coriander roughly chopped (cilantro for those in North America)
- Salt and pepper
In a deep saucepan (or if you have use your Le Creuset….it was made for this!) cook your oil, garlic, chili flakes and chorizo on high heat until sausage is browned (I only used 2 chorizo sausages- so it only took 4 mins- with 4 it should take about 10-12 mins). Then add your zucchini and stir into the cooked chorizo. Cook on medium heat for about 5 mins.
Add your rice followed by all remaining ingredients. Stir to mix. Lower to low heat, cover and let it cook for 15 mins stirring from time to time. After 15 mins, add salt and pepper to taste. The rice at this point should be al dente. Cook as long as you need until you are happy with the rice consistency.
Turn off heat and let it sit covered for 5 minutes. Stir in your chopped coriander and serve immediately.
This recipe is super easy and extremely adaptable:
- Don’t like chorizo? Try another sausage, maybe from your local butcher.
- Vegetarian/Vegan? No problem! Add more veggies, or else tofu will work extremely well with this.
- Hate zucchini? Firstly- what’s wrong with you? Secondly- try eggplant (yeah- I think this would be delicious), or else any other vegetable you can think of.
- Hey Emily- can I try this with cubes of potato/yam/sweet potato? You sure can!
- Feeling like something cheesy? Add some crumbled feta before serving
- Emily- I want more protein. OF course you do! You can go paella fashion with shrimp, chicken and mussels. Or else replace the sausage with cubed beef/chicken/bison/elk. Just make sure you cook all your protein properly. Something like mussels should probably be cooked separately and added at the last minute.
I think you get the idea…. Have fun with this and remember- this only takes 30 mins. No excuses about not having time to cook!