Weekday chickpea salad – vegan

Carlsbad, California

The Man and I are thrilled to be back in California: sun, beach, great food… it’s got it all!

As you know, my diet has evolved over the last 3 years and I’ve pretty much cut out meat (although the occasional burger, chili con carne or Spanish jamon is hard to resist!). After reading the widely-recognized The China Study I’m convinced of the health benefits of further reducing my intake of animal products (especially dairy). The thought of saying goodbye camembert (for good?) fills me with sadness but I’m convinced it’s for the best. We’ll see how it goes…

This month I wanted to share one of my go-to weekday recipes that also happens to be vegan: my scrumptious chickpea salad.

IMG_5073

The photos featured in the post were taken a while ago in Milos but I have made this recipe dozens of times since. If you have the time I suggest you cook the chickpeas yourself – the texture is just more satisfying. Need to put it together quickly? Just use canned chickpeas instead.

Ingredients
  • 500 gr (about 1lb) of dried chickpeas / garbanzo beans
  • 1 green or red pepper (or both!)
  • Half a cucumber
  • 1 large tomato
  • 1/2 a red onion (scallions / green onions also work well)
  • 1 bunch of fresh dill (you can also throw in some parsley or other herbs if you like)
  • 2 heaping tbsp of capers
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • Juice from 1 lemon
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Instructions

Soak your chickpeas overnight in some water with a tsp of baking soda (mom’s trick for making beans less “gassy”). You’ll want to put the chickpeas in with lots of water – they are thirsty little devils! If you can, change the water once.

When the beans are soaked, cook according to package instructions. Be warned that they take a while to cook.

When cooked, strain and run under cold water. Set aside to cool. (If using canned, rinse chickpeas thoroughly)

While the chickpeas are cooking finely chop the pepper, cucumber, red onion and dill. Scoop out and discard the “insides” of your tomato. Chop the flesh of the tomato finely. How you cut your veggies – more or less chunky – will affect the texture of the salad. Keep that in mind when you are chopping.

In a large bowl throw in the garbanzo beans, veggies and herbs. Add the capers, olive oil and lemon juice. Mix well and season to taste.

There you go. Super simple. Absolutely yummy.

Don’t hesitate to change things up a little. Next time I make this recipe I’m going to add baby spinach!

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 thoughts on “Weekday chickpea salad – vegan

1. Emily @ culinarycorrespondence.com October 13, 2014 at 11:54 pm Reply

I can’t eat too many chickpeas…..but this is delicious. Thanks Beth!!!

2. Hanin October 14, 2014 at 12:08 pm Reply

Hey Beth,

Arg – you stole my idea, I wanted to post a chickpea salad recipe too ! hehe. Well, I might soon, but mine is a hot and cold salad, so quite different I guess. 🙂

Thank you for this post – I didn’t use to eat chickpeas (with the exception of the puree version in Hummus) but I must admit this recipe reconciled me with this kind of peas. It is really a fresh and surprisingly filling salad. Is it good for diet as well?

I hope you are having a good time in California. Say hello to the man for me. What are you guys eating there? Is there a specialty that you particularly enjoy?
    I hope you are enjoying your yoga pants – Oops, I hope I didn’t say too much ! haha

Bisous from Barcelona

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence October 16, 2014 at 3:32 pm Reply

Hi Hanin!

Yep, chickpeas are diet-friendly and a great source of protein if you are cutting down on meat (which is also a diet-friendly thing to do). If you want to lower the calorie count of this recipe you can reduce the amount of olive oil. I am ADDICTED to chickpeas so please post your recipe!!!

California is great 🙂 Our favorite dish to eat here is fish tacos – a local SoCal specialty. I haven’t made them at home yet but I was thinking about it for my next post!

I’ve only worn the yoga pants once so far, but it was legen-wait for it -dary!

3. Jan October 19, 2014 at 9:34 am Reply

Hey Beth,
    You know I love this! A few chopped olives, green or black are a nice addition too. You got me in the mood for chickpeas so watch out for my next post.

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence October 20, 2014 at 4:14 pm Reply

You know, it’s funny you say that because I just noticed some black olives in the post’s photo! The only problem with black olives is that they tend to dye the chickpeas a little… not attractive, especially a day or two after you make the salad. Have I converted you to cooking your own chickpeas???

4. Jan October 20, 2014 at 4:42 pm Reply

Yep-for sure. They are so much better than the canned ones.