Home-made Leek & Potato Soup (served with Dijon Grilled Cheese)

Vancouver, Canada

Hello Ladies!!!!

Can you feel it’s autumn yet in Europe? Sure can here! We’ve had a few rain and wind storms already here in Vancouver. I’ve been recovering from a persistent cold and wanted some wholesome comfort food. This recipe is delicious, extremely simple and hearty. I served it with some crème fraiche with a scrumptious dijon grilled cheese. I bundled up in front of the TV with this and it was perfect. Enjoy!

Dijon Grilled Cheese

Ingredients:

Leek & Potato soup:

• 1.5 lb potatoes peeled and diced
  • 2 medium/large leeks (white and tender parts only) roughly chopped
  • 6 cups water
  • Big sea salt
  • Pepper
  • Optional: crème fraiche; chives

Dijon Grilled Cheese:

• Two thinly cut slices of hearty bread (boule de campagne, homemade artisan bread, etc..)
  • Butter
  • Sharp cheddar cheese (if you find it- goat cheddar…surreal how delicious that is)
  • Dijon mustard

Peel and dice your potatoes. I used white russet. Clean and roughly chop your leeks. Add your chopped veggies to a large pot with the water. Throw in a pinch of big sea salt. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover half way and let it simmer 20 mins or until veggies are soft. Here you have two choices: eat as is (delicious) or set aside to cool before blending. It is super important that you cool this before blending- or it will overspill and that boiling mixture will burn you. You can also use an immersion hand-held blender- in which case you don’t need it to cool.

image1

While cooling, let’s make the grilled cheese! Take your two slices, butter one side of each. Then, on one of the un-buttered sides, add dijon mustard and your cheese, cover with the other slice. Heat a saucepan – cook each side until golden and cheese is melted.

Blend your soup. Reheat on low heat. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve. Add your crème fraiche and chives if you want.

image2

image3

Settle down, bundle up under a blanky, put on a good movie and indulge. You deserve it.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

6 thoughts on “Home-made Leek & Potato Soup (served with Dijon Grilled Cheese)

1. themigrantchef November 2, 2014 at 6:03 pm Reply

Looks like a very comforting autumn dish …yum!

2. Beth @ Culinary Correspondence November 2, 2014 at 7:57 pm Reply

No signs of winter in Southern California… It won’t stop me making soup though!

I love leek and potato soup – I prefer it silky smooth so I would definitely blend. I’ve never tried goat cheddar before but I saw it at the store the other day… does it taste like cheddar or like something else?

• Emily @ culinarycorrespondence.com November 2, 2014 at 8:13 pm Reply

Hey Beth! Goat cheddar doesn’t taste like cheddar. It tastes like a nice hard goat cheese. I prefer it to cow cheddar now as you know I love goat cheese so much. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone

3. Jan November 2, 2014 at 9:13 pm Reply

Hi Em, I hope you’ll make this for us over the holidays. It sounds like a perfect lunch. Does goat cheddar taste like goat? Our cheese lady in Milos gave us a whole cheese-about 5 pounds!!!! Plus some of the soft fresh cheese which for sure will keep until then.
    Dad will have to have his sandwich made with oatcakes-ha, ha!

• Emily @ culinarycorrespondence.com November 2, 2014 at 9:22 pm Reply

Hey mom! Goat cheddar tastes like a mild semi-soft goat cheese. It’s quite lovely. Yeah- or does dad still eat the volkbrot bread? We can make him a grilled cheese with that. I will for sure make then when I am home as it’s so easy, cheap and can feed the growing family 🙂

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Meals and miles apart, recipes shared with love. wrote:

4. Hanin November 17, 2014 at 7:45 am Reply

Hey Emi!
    Thank for sharing this recipe – I must admit, I didn’t use to like soups, but your brother made me try a few and now I really enjoy them! Plus, they’re good for dieting and so easy to prepare, which is great when you have the double shift (work – mom) and you just want to relax when the baby sleeps 🙂
    Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of leeks, but your recipe looks so delicious I might try it anyway !
    I hope you are well… One month and we will be together !
    Love you all