Zaatar Kale Chips

Vancouver November 2014

I discovered Zaatar in Jordan a few years ago when Beth and I went to visit Thomas and Hanin. It’s the taste of pure happiness. A beautiful mixture of thyme, sumak and sesame seeds….each batch is different. Each is delicious. It’s my catnip. I’ve recently been trying to eat more greens including kale. Kale smells like farts but is supposedly the best thing EVER for you. So- how do you make something that smells like farts appealing enough to eat? The answer: add Zaatar and make them into healthy chips. This recipe is adapted from the “Oh She Glows” recipe.

Cover image

Ingredients:

1/2 bunch organic kale

½ tbsp MCT oil (or olive oil or warmed coconut oil)

1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast

1 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp zaatar

½ tsp onion powder

½ tsp smoked paprika

¼ tsp salt

image3

Preheat your oven to 300 fahrenheit (150 celsius). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Carefully wash your kale. Then get it as dry as you can. I used a salad spinner and it worked perfectly. Strip the leaves off the stems and rip into medium sized pieces.

In a medium salad bowl place your kale, then add your oil, followed by all the spices. Massage everything together with your hands. Don’t hesitate to rub everything together to make sure the spices stick.

image2

Then place your seasoned kale leaves on your prepared baking sheet- leaving some space between the leaves.

image1

Place in the oven and bake for 10 mins. After 10 mins, turn the baking sheet around in the oven and bake for a further 10-12 mins until perfectly dry and crisp. Take out of oven and let sit for 3 mins.

Baked chips

Usually I do this again with the second half of the kale bunch as this is so delicious you’ll want more!!!

So tuck in to the delicious and healthiness of kale without the smell of farts!!!!!

Bowl of chips

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

7 thoughts on “Zaatar Kale Chips

1. Jan December 1, 2014 at 3:11 pm Reply

Ha, ha! Emily, you make me laugh so much! I hope we can find some kale when you are home. I’m eager to try this.
    I’m going to start some baking to freeze-requests?

2. Jan December 1, 2014 at 3:12 pm Reply

Em, what’s MCT oil?

• Emily @ culinarycorrespondence.com December 2, 2014 at 8:22 pm Reply

Hey Mom! MCT oil (Medium-chain triglycerides) supposedly has many health benefits, including anti-fungal and anti-yeast properties. I’m no expert but I’m told it’s very good for you- so why not try! It’s particularly suited to this type of low temp cooking. It’s odorless and tasteless.

3. Beth @ Culinary Correspondence December 2, 2014 at 3:17 pm Reply

LOL!

I’ve seen kale chips before but in my mind they are going to be super dry and dissolve in your mouth like a wafer. Am I completely wrong?? I like the idea of adding zaatar for some extra flavour.

xoxo

• Emily @ culinarycorrespondence.com December 2, 2014 at 8:23 pm Reply

No- these chips are amazing. Sure they make you thirsty….but so do potato chips and crackers. I don’t get dry mouth from them- just awesomeness.

4. Hanin December 4, 2014 at 10:27 am Reply

Hey Emi!

I found a place here in Barcelona where they sell Zaatar! so you will not run out of catnip 🙂
    Those look delicious and a healthy snack for our (numerous) christmas aperos
    Aaah I can’t wait to see you all for Christmas !

I never heard of Kale before, but I would love to try.
    There are a lot of organic shops here, I am sure I will be able to find some easily.
    In all cases, yes please make this for us this season 🙂

Lots of love to all