Vegan root vegetable soup to kick your cold in the n*ts

Barcelona, Spain

Hello ladies,

The Man and I had a fabulous time in Scotland last week. The weather was, by Scottish standards, absolutely wonderful and we took full advantage of the outdoors. The food where we were staying was fantastic (not a given in that part of the world I’m told) and I had a carrot cake that defies words. Literally mind-blowing. No words.

Needless to say, we were sorry to leave. Lucky me though, I got to bring home a memento of our trip… a cold. Brrrr. My head feels like it’s full of cotton and my throat is permanently dry and scratchy. I’ve already gone through one box of tissues and am tearing my way through a second one.

What’s a girl to do to feel better? Chicken soup! Except I don’t eat chicken. Instead I went out and bought delicious seasonal root vegetables and started free-styling my way to a suitable vegan substitute. The result was this delectable, warm, comforting soup that is guaranteed to make you forget chicken soup all together.

Vegan root vegetable soup - close up

I made mega-batch to last for a few days (who wants to cook lunch every day when they’re sick?), so you may want to halve it or freeze leftovers Actually, forget halving. You should definitely freeze some for later.

Makes 8 – 12 servings

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1/2 a yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 leek, halved and sliced
  • 1 sweet potato, cubed (they are EVERYWHERE in Barcelona at the moment)
  • 2 carrots, cubed
  • 2 parsnips, cubed (if you like parsnips, you need to try my luscious vegan parsnip soup)
  • 2 liters (about 8 cups) of vegetable stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans
  • 2 cups cooked mixed grains (I used a store-bought mix of rice, wheat and farro, but you can use whatever you like or have leftovers of. Use rice to make it gluten-free.)
  • 2 big handfuls of spinach (or other leafy green), chopped
  • Salt & pepper

Instructions

Start by getting all of your chopping out of the way. I suggest you keep your cubes pretty small, the larger they are, the longer the soup will need to cook. Ultimately though, it’s completely up to you and how chunky you like your soup.

Take a large pot (I used my trusty Le Creuset) and start warming it over medium heat. Add the olive oil, and let warm. Then add your onions and sauté until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes) before adding the leeks. Cook for another couple of minutes.

Add the carrots and parsnips and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5-10 minutes until the outside of the veggies starts to soften.

Add the sweet potato, vegetable stock and the bay leaf. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and let simmer, half covered, for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.

Add the beans and grains and stir. When these are warmed through, add the spinach and salt and pepper to taste.

When the spinach is wilted (which takes approximately a minute) you are ready to rock n’ roll.

Vegan root vegetable soup

Serve with warm toast and get under the blankets. You’re sick remember?

Vegan root vegetale soup - spoonful

Let the chunky deliciousness warm your diseased little heart.

Bon appétit!

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 thoughts on “Vegan root vegetable soup to kick your cold in the n*ts

1. Exploradora November 6, 2015 at 5:17 pm Reply

Love these kinds of soups! They warm you up in no time!

2. Emily @ culinarycorrespondence.com November 6, 2015 at 11:08 pm Reply

Beth- beautiful, I can’t wait to have this over the weekend. Is nuts a dirty word? 🙂

3. Jan November 7, 2015 at 9:51 am Reply

Emily, I think you and I need to have a little talk. Beth, I didn’t think this was ‘that’ kind of blog. Ha, ha.
    Anyway, as soon as I get off the computer, I am heading out to the fruit and veg shop here in town and am making soup for lunch-both of your recipes for fall soups are tempting. Guess I’ll have to flip a coin!
    Beth, I will probably add celery to your root vegetable soup-you know how I love me some celery. One question; does the sweet potato make the whole soup kind of sweet or does the sweetness stay in the chunks themselves? Guess you can tell I don’t use sweet potatoes much. Hanin, I bet our little sweetheart would like this and frozen portions would be super handy.
    Have a great day everyone! I’m off to the store!

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence November 7, 2015 at 12:26 pm Reply

Until recently I’ve avoided sweet potato – too sweet for my taste. I find the variety we get here less sweet (or maybe I’m just warming up to them?). They didn’t make the soup sweet, if anything the parsnips were the more dominant flavour. You can certainly omit them altogether if you want. Good substitutes would be potato or turnip. I thought about adding celery (I have some in the freezer) but then just forgot to throw them in!

4. Hanin November 10, 2015 at 1:44 pm Reply

Hola ladies,

Forgive me please for taking so long in commenting… My computer at home is very very slow so it takes me a looooong time to write those few lines…

@Beth, this soup looks totally awesome: I have to admit that Sweet potatoes here are delicious, I had never had any before coming to Barcelona so I wouldn’t know if they are less sweet than elsewhere… I just know they are GOOD!

@Jan: definitely a good idea!

@Emi: can’t wait to see you in Barcelona 🙂

I will put this recipe on my list so I can make it after my 90 day sss plan.
    I will tell you more about it in my next post!

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence November 10, 2015 at 3:20 pm Reply

No worries 🙂 You guys should get yourself a Mac… I’m addicted to mine. There’s no going back!

Agreed, the sweet potatoes here are so delicious and CHEAP at the moment. I hope your new diet plan lets you have some before they go out of season!