Power Toast for a quick and healthy breakfast

Carlsbad, California

The Man and I are enjoying our last few days in California, it’s hard to believe we’ve been here for almost two months already. There are many things I’ll miss: bike rides down the Pacific Coast, the view of the lagoon from the apartment, technicolor sunsets… and the Carlsbad Farmers’ Market.

I’ll miss the stands bursting with colorful locally grown produce, the incredible selection of hummus at the Baba Foods stand and the wonderful variety of other foods on offer. A few weeks ago I just about gave the Man an ulcer when I bought a small pot of local honey for $10. But let me tell you, it was worth every penny.

Power toast - breakfast recipe

The recipe for Power Toast I want to share with you makes very good use of this top shelf honey. I created the recipe a few months ago in Barcelona when I couldn’t find anything to  put on my morning toast. After scouring the pantry for odds and ends I came up with this filling, nutritious and delicious recipe. The nuts and seeds deliver great texture, while the honey offers a welcome sweet touch. A dusting of cinnamon takes it over the top. You can easily veganize this recipe by substituting agave nectar or maple syrup for the honey.

Makes two toasts

Note: This recipe is very simple so the quality of your ingredients is important. I suggest buying the best quality you can afford.

Ingredients

• Two slices of bread (why not make this homemade artisan bread?)
  • 1/4 cup almonds (you can use other nuts, walnuts work beautifully)
  • 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds
  • 2 heaping teaspoons of honey (or agave nectar or maple syrup)
  • Cinnamon for dusting

Instructions

Slice your bread into thick-ish slices. Toast them.

Sourdough bread - power toast recipe

While the bread is toasting, measure out your almonds and chop until they are about this size. If you chop them too small you’ll miss out on texture.

Chopped text - power toast recipe

Mix the chopped almonds with the sunflower seeds and the pumpkin seeds.

Place half of the nut/seed mix onto each slice of toast.

Power toast recipe

Then drizzle generously with the honey.

Power toast with honey

And finish with a cloud of cinnamon.

Power toast recipe

Bon appétit!

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

7 thoughts on “Power Toast for a quick and healthy breakfast

1. Emily March 24, 2016 at 8:13 pm Reply

Yummy Beth! Bread, nuts, seeds and honey….WINNER! I’m currently on day 4 of 12 of the Wild Rose Cleanse so no bread or honey for me, but once done I’ll enjoy this for breakfast regularly 🙂

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence March 24, 2016 at 10:39 pm Reply

What’s the Wild Rose Cleanse??

• Emily March 29, 2016 at 6:25 am

It’s a cleanse that takes out wheat, dairy, sugar and all processed foods. There are supplements to take as well to help eliminate toxins. It’s a 12 day program. Am on day 9 and enjoying it so far.

2. Jan March 31, 2016 at 8:52 am Reply

Hi Beth, seeing this reminds me of my crazy days when I didn’t eat breakfast at all. I had convinced myself that eating in the morning set me up for eating all day. Please – no comments on the logic here. One thing is for sure, though, if this had been on offer there’s no way I would have been able to resist. I am tempted to toast a few pine nuts and add them in. Thanks so much for the yummy idea.

• Beth @ Culinary Correspondence March 31, 2016 at 10:13 am Reply

Yum, pine nuts sound like a wonderful addition. You should try the recipe while you’re on Milos… the honey is so amazing there!

Glad you are eating breakfast again, a much better way to start the day 🙂

3. Hanin March 31, 2016 at 1:25 pm Reply

Miam Beth!
    This looks amazing!
    I know you are going to miss California but let me tell you we are SUPER happy you guys are back! Norah has been craving her amto’s food 😉

Nuts + Honey are such a good combination, I usually add yogurt and voila!
    And the cinnamon… all of this looks great!