Mosakhan – Traditional Palestinian dish

musakhan mosakhan palestinian recipe traditional dish
Hello my favorite ladies,

I am very excited to share this dish with you as it is the traditional Palestinian dish that is usually served when we have big family gatherings – and you have seen my family, you know they are BIG gatherings!

It is and always has been one of my all time favorites, not only because it is delicious, but also because it reminds me of so many good memories and fills my heart with joy.

If you remember Jan, you and Nigel actually tasted it when you were in Amman, at Zena’s place.

This time, Beth and the Man were invited to try it out!

It looks like a complicated dish, but I was surprised at how easy it was!

The challenging part might be to find the right type of bread, but I am sure that pizza dough should work just fine.

Ingredients for 4:

• 1 whole chicken cut into 4
  • 1 kg onions
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • a lot of sumac!
  • 4 big pizza doughs cooked into a crust, pita bread might work, or Indian bread
  • Yoghurt to serve (goat yoghurt works fine!)
  • Fried or roasted pine nuts (we used almonds as we forgot to buy pine nuts!)

Start by boiling your chicken

Dice the onions and cook them in a separate pot on low heat until tender.
You can add a little sumac for color.

– A little tip for the onions, if you can, it is better to dice them outdoors so you don’t get too teary! –

Then, add the cup of olive oil to the cooked onions and turn the heat off as it just starts to boil.

Take your (already cooked) bread and dip the edges in the onion an olive oil mix.

Then, spread some onions on your bread, leaving out as much olive oil as you can. Don’t be shy, go ahead and put a lot of onions!

traditional palestinian recipe mosakhan musakhan

Sprinkle some sumac and add some pine nuts.

Your first Palestinian Pizza is ready.

IMG_9578

Do the same with the other 3 pizza doughs and pile them up. Add the cooked chicken on top, add some sumac, pine nuts and in the oven it goes.

Leave it 5/10 minutes in a 250° heated oven (watch closely so it doesn’t burn!)

IMG_9604

Serve with yoghurt.

Note: For our vegetarian friends, this can be served without the chicken.

Beth, tell us your thoughts!

Bon Appetit!

Special Thanks to Mommy Amani for cooking and sharing the recipe, and Beth, as always, for the beautiful pictures!

Tagged: , , , , , ,

6 thoughts on “Mosakhan – Traditional Palestinian dish

1. Emily April 14, 2016 at 10:04 pm Reply

Thank you Hanin! This looks unbelievably delicious. Can I use Zaatar instead of the plain sumac? I ask as I’m going to try. I can practically smell your recipe…and I’m drooling.

• Hanin April 19, 2016 at 8:06 am Reply

Zaatar all the way Emi! 🙂
      Please let us know how it turns out 🙂

2. Beth @ Culinary Correspondence April 15, 2016 at 3:17 pm Reply

It was such a pleasure enjoying this traditional dish all together 🙂 I had my Mosakhan without chicken, and Hanin very thoughtfully offered me goat yoghurt as I no longer eat cow dairy. I would add that you eat this dish with your hands, which makes for a wonderfully messy and thoroughly fun experience!

• Hanin April 19, 2016 at 8:09 am Reply

haha absolutely, I forgot to mention that you eat it with your hands. 🙂
      I am happy you enjoyed it Beth! I have a few pitas left for soon… 😉

3. Jan April 17, 2016 at 12:37 pm Reply

Hanin, I have so many happy memories of our trip to Jordan including the fabulous lunch at Zena’s with your family and friends – our new friends. Such hospitality! And such wonderful food!! Each dish was more delicious than the last and Mosakhan was one of the very best. Thanks so much for sharing. I will be making this – very soon – I will do half with sumac and half with zaatar – and we shall see.
    Also, if anyone reading hasn’t been to Jordan, have a look at http://www.visitjordan.com, you will be tempted for sure. Give in to the temptation and have a fantastic time in this wonderful country.

• Hanin April 19, 2016 at 9:38 am Reply

Jan, I am so happy that you loved your trip, we loved having you there and my family is always asking when you’ll be back 🙂