Goat Labna with Zaatar

HELLO ladies!!!

It’s September- and I LOVE September. Still have the longish days, the weather is mild and it’s back to school time! Even though I no longer go back to school, this is still the time where I start new routines and classes. I’ve recently decided to go back to the foods that give me fuel, are tasty and healthy….meaning the Mediterranean diet. I’ve bought a few cookbooks and been rediscovering the beauty of the foods kissed by the sun, cooked simply and that are just divine! In my cookbooks there are various recipes for labna- strained yogurt cheese, like a thick cream cheese. I decided to try making some myself using goat yogurt and my favorite spice blend ever….zaatar. This is an incredibly simple recipe- it just needs some time, so be prepared to wait at least 24 hours….but it’s so worth it!!!

img_0261

Ingredients:

• 500 grams best quality goat yogurt (you can use traditional cow yogurt if you prefer!)
  • ½ tsp sea salt (I used the salt from Camargue)
  • Optional: 4 tbsp zaatar
  • Cheese cloth
  • Paper Towel
  • Rubber band
  • Strainer
  • Bowl

Cut your cheese cloth and place one strip in the strainer, then place the second strip on top like a cross. Add one piece of paper towel at the bottom.

img_0262

Add salt and still well into yogurt. Make sure it dissolves. If using zaatar, this is when I added mine. Pour yogurt into prepared cheesecloth/paper towel.

img_0266

Fold over corners, tie tightly with rubber band. Hang from faucet over strainer place in a bowl- leave for 12 hours.

img_0253

After 12 hours, place your straining yogurt, strainer and bowl in the fridge for another 12 hours. You can leave it for entire day if you want.

After at least 24 hours, open up- and roll out. Congrats- you’ve made labna! It is VERY sour (pucker up!) so I recommend when serving it, to add a little olive oil. It cuts through the sourness and makes it even more delicious.

Serve with toasted pita bread, crackers, on toast, on pasta, in salad….you get my drift 😉 Enjoy! Bon Ap!

img_0259

Tagged: , , , , , ,

4 thoughts on “Goat Labna with Zaatar

1. Jan September 7, 2016 at 1:54 pm Reply

Hey Em, this looks super interesting. Wish you’d been with us in Barcelona-you could have given us a labneh tutorial. The pictures are very helpful though, so I’ll take a stab at it soon. Thanks for sharing this. Any idea where to get cheesecloth in Paris???

• Emily September 7, 2016 at 6:19 pm Reply

Yeah sorry I could not be in Barcelona 😦 As for cheese cloth, I’m sure in the land of cheese you can find it in supermarkets, but maybe at cheese shops?

I’ve seen a YouTube video where the lady only used paper towel to make it so that could be an option if cheesecloth is not available.

On Sep 7, 2016 6:54 AM, “Meals and miles apart, recipes shared with love.” wrote:

2. Beth @ Culinary Correspondence September 9, 2016 at 11:38 am Reply

Such an enterprising recipe Emi! It looks delicious 🙂 Did it taste very goaty? I’m with mom, I’ve never seen cheese cloth here… not even sure what it’s called. Will need to investigate.

Congrats on finding your way back to a Mediterranean diet! Sounds like you have lots of deliciousness to look forward to 🙂

• Emily September 9, 2016 at 3:06 pm Reply

Interestingly, the zaatar one I made was not very goaty. But I have since made a plain one and it tastes like Petit Billy but not as wet. Cheese making is fun. I might try new recipes!!! Maybe one day….. Mozzarella!!!!

On Sep 9, 2016 4:38 AM, “Meals and miles apart, recipes shared with love.” wrote: